Sunday, November 2, 2014

Sport Performance and Music

Days ago, when I was see a football game, I noticed which all the athletes before the game was using a headphone. So, I asked myself "Why?". We knew which the music have an amazing power, but I didn't have associate this fact with the sports. So, I found in some websites researches about music and athletes performance.
I didn't have notice that fact until I go to WIU's Rec Center. In Brazil is common the gym play music in the radio, but here we don't have music playing for all people. Each one need to bring his/her own device to play music. But, I didn't have any device neither music in the cell phone. So, I noticed how the music is important to motivate and increase our performance. 
According to Kelly Brooks and her review "Enhancing Sports Performance Through The Use of Music" the music is very important in anaerobic sports like bodybuilder to motivate the athlete and increase the performance.
But, use the music isn't be easy, in the "How to Benefit from Music in Sport and Exercise" by Hannah Farmer, we need to follow some criteria to achieve that benefits, like: "(a) strong, energising rhythm; (b) positive lyrics having associations with movement (e.g., “I’m gonna make you sweat” by Snoop Dogg); (c) rhythmic pattern well matched to movement patterns of the athletic activity; (d) uplifting melodies and harmonies; (e) associations with sport, exercise, triumph, or overcoming adversity (e.g.. Heather Small’s ‘Proud’, used in the London 2012 Olympic bid); and (f) a musical style or idiom suited to an athlete’s taste and cultural upbringing. Choose tracks with different tempi, to coincide with alternate low-, medium-, and high-intensity training."
So, that shows one of the several powers of music. We can use music to achieve personal goals related with training and health. I love music and I use this power daily to do homework and motivate me to go to the gym or to encourage in the day.

Music to improve your performance
 Source: http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/health/psychology/music-to-improve-your-performance



2 comments:

  1. I used to share workout (or running) 'playlists' with friends so that we could listen to new music that other people found motivating. What do you listen to that motivates you when exercising?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I have used an app called SuperPlayer. In this app we find many genre of music or we can listen music according to our activity, so it is very interesting app! You can try, and after that tell me about your experiences! :D

      Delete